Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day...

Today is a day that I look forward to every year. I am so thankful for all the men and women who serve our country! Coming from a military family it really has a special meaning to me. There is one person that really stands out on this day especially, and that is my Grandpa. He was a very handsome man, especially in his uniform! There is no wonder why Grams fell in love! I miss him like crazy. He died when I was only 7 years old and we had very little time to create memories but those memories we do have I will never forget, like eating watermelon on the front porch on a summer nights, watching MASH on TV after dinner and working out in the yard. He was one special guy and I love him very much. I just wish he were here to see my little family now and meet my husband. He would have loved Brody! 

Me and my Grandpa

Grandpa & Grams

Well, since today is Memorial Day we got up, put out our flag, and went to have breakfast and then off to his grave to take him some flowers with my mom and Taos. My mom always made it very important that we remember all those who serve our country and to take time no matter how busy our life gets and go visit Grandpa. So every year we go and visit him especially on Memorial Day.

Years Ago
Me, Mikey and Taos visiting Grandpa when Taos was like 2 years old.

Today 5-28-2012
This Memorial Day was a little different .... 
Broxton was so excited to go visit Grandpa Weaver that he kept asking where his house was and wanted to bring his new toys to show him. I had to explain to him that Grandpa was in Heaven with Jesus. It was a very hard concept to try and explain my 3 year old but was one that I will cherish. 
I took Broxton to the store to pick out flowers and a flag all by himself. He was so exited. 
We also put some flowers on the graves right next to Grandpa's. They didn't have anything on them so Broxton helped me put a couple on each of them. 
While we were doing that I noticed a mother with her 2 children and a big bag of red Carnations. They were walking around the cemetery and putting flowers on all the graves that didn't have anything on them. I thought that was such a neat idea and tradition to teach her children. 
I think I might just do that one year. 
This Memorial Day was such a wonderful  peaceful day. I am pretty sure that all of those people that have passed on were there today watching and waiting for 
their family and friends to visit. 
I bet they too get very excited for this day.

Broxton & Tinley with Grandpa Weaver

Our Family with Grandpa Weaver
Mom and Taos with Grandpa





Thank you Grandpa Weaver 
for serving our Country!
We love and miss you very much!


No comments:

Post a Comment